The concealer-and-foundation combo by RMS Beauty, aptly named “Un” Cover-Up, blends seamlessly and always looks natural. It’s thick enough to cover small blemishes and under-eye circles, but can also be buffed out into a foundation. This is one of the most beloved, highly rated, and iconic natural beauty products around.
It costs $36 and I get mine online from Credo Beauty.
If you care about skin texture, if you want a youthful glow, and if you hate makeup that’s cakey, RMS “Un” Cover-Up is for you. It’s creamy and lightweight. It hydrates like a skincare cream, while evening out skin tone. Most noticeably, it seems to melt into skin.
At A Glance
RMS “Un” Cover-Up is different than most concealers. It is so creamy and easy to use, plus you’ll likely find a shade that looks gorgeous on your skin. Here are the basic facts you need to know about it:
- It provides medium-to-sheer coverage.
- It’s perfect for someone who doesn’t want to look overly made-up.
- RMS Beauty provides full ingredient disclosure. Not all beauty brands provide this level of transparency.
- The ingredients are so pure that if you accidentally fall asleep at night without washing your face, there’s no need to stress. Yes, the formulation is paraben-free, phthalate-free, sulfate-free, gluten-free, and GMO-free, but RMS goes one step further by using food-grade ingredients.
- It never looks heavy or dry on skin. The texture is creamy.
- “Un” Cover-Up may, however, settle into fine lines, especially around the eyes. It’s advisable to pat smooth mid-day.
- It’s made in the USA. This is especially important for an ingredient-forward product like this.
- The packaging is 100% recyclable. Sweet.
- The coverage is not full enough to cover severe redness or scarring. It’s a lightweight product, more for evening out the skin tone and brightening darker areas (like the under-eye region) as opposed to heavy-duty coverage.
- It minimizes the look of enlarged pores.
- This is an important one: it generally works best on dry skin and dry climates. It can be a bit too much in humid climates or on oily skin.
- It is unusually, and interestingly, gorgeous on both perfect teenage and mature skin. How’d Rose Marie Swift—the makeup artist behind this genius product—manage that modern-day miracle?!
- It’s been called a natural dupe for Cle de Peau’s Concealer. They are similar in creaminess, although I believe RMS “Un” Cover-Up works better all over the face and the shades are slightly less pink, which is a better match for so many women.
Raw, Food-Grade Ingredients
RMS Beauty uses raw, food-grade ingredients. And their manufacturing process is noteworthy. The minimal heat in the manufacturing process allows the natural enzymes, vitamins, and healing properties to remain intact.
Essentially, RMS Beauty has taken principles from the raw food community and applied them to cosmetics. I love that! They call their products “food for the face,” a claim supported by their quality ingredients and mindful manufacturing process.
Full Ingredient List: organic coconut oil, organic castor seed oil, organic beeswax, organic cocoa seed butter, organic jojoba seed oil, tocopherol, organic rosemary extract. May contain: titanium dioxide Cl 77891, iron oxides CI 77491, Cl 77492, CI 77499.
|Extremely Safe||Reasonably Safe||Proceed with Caution||Insufficient Data|
There’s something else very important to note in this ingredient list: All ingredients have been disclosed. When you find a product that stands by all its ingredients—like this one—that’s a good thing.
Finding the word fragrance on the ingredient lists of other products means the company behind the product has chosen to not disclose all ingredients. Thanks to the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act of 1966, fragrance is considered proprietary information and allowed to be hidden from consumers. So while you see that single word on the label, it may contain any number of secret ingredients.
But here’s the good news: more and more companies are choosing to disclose all ingredients in their cosmetics, thus empowering consumers like you to make a choice with your eyes wide open. Transparency matters. And that’s just another reason I love this product.
Another thing about this gorgeous ingredient list? It wasn’t tested on animals.
“Un” Cover-Up is currently available in eight shades. Here’s what RMS Beauty has available:
- 000 – hey there, Snow White
- 00 – light skin
- 11 – a pale shade with a subtle yellow base
- 22 – light-medium color with yellow base
- 33 – a slightly warmer tan color
- 44 – a deeper tan color that can also be used for contouring
- 55 – a warm golden tan
- 66 – a deep warm amber
Although the shades are slightly sheer, and therefore forgiving, I keep a few of the pots to mix-and-match as need be.
I generally bounce between 22 and 33.
A Few Tips on Application
The woman behind RMS Beauty—makeup artist Rose Marie Swift—uses her fingers like a secret weapon. Her products are developed specifically for this hands-on technique. Once you get the hang of it, you may want to apply makeup that way too, even if you have an enviable brush collection.
There’s something about the combination of the coconut oil base and the warmth of your fingers that make “Un” Cover-Up melt right into skin.
Start under your eyes, over the T-zone, or wherever you need a bit of coverage.
I like to set it with a very small amount of powder.
The Products It Pairs Well With
Here’s a few other RMS Beauty products that you’ll adore if you’ve fallen in love with “Un” Cover-Up:
- Living Luminizer: Just as iconic as the “Un” Cover-Up. An illuminator for a dewy, sheer glow.
- Buruti Bronzer: This is a better bronzer than most because 1- it’s not orange, 2- it’s not sparkly, and 3- it practically melts into skin, creating an incredibly natural look.
- Master Mixer: A warm, golden tone to create a “lit from within” effect.
- Pop Collection Signature Set: A sleek palette with bright colors and finishing touches.
Where to Purchase
The “Un” Cover-Up concealer and foundation duo by RMS Beauty is $36 for a 0.2oz pot. Get it here.
I’ve discovered that not all stores that sell this product actually sell it in the deeper shades…which is kind of infuriating. But you can find ALL shades at Credo Beauty, one of my all-time favorite green beauty destinations.
This product is part of my popular guide, Natural & Nontoxic Makeup: The 75 Best Products to Up Your Beauty Game.
*This post is not sponsored. All opinions are my own.
**Products get makeovers too. Be sure to check if this product has been recently re-formulated before using it yourself.13