Adult acne is no fun. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, over 1/3 of all adult women are impacted by acne, up through their late 30s. Since it’s something so many of us struggle with, you’d think the path to clear skin would be straightforward. But it’s not. And many of us are fed up with conventional acne treatments that end up making skin worse.
True Botanicals has a unique approach to adult acne. Their products meet at the intersection of clean and effective. And it’s made a tremendous difference in my skin, and in the skin of many readers of this blog.
When it comes to adult acne, True Botanicals’ products have a four-fold effect on skin:
- Breakouts are minimized or completely eliminated.
- The enduring damage caused by acne—namely hyperpigmentation—improves drastically.
- Health and resiliency is restored to skin after damage caused by years of harsh acne treatments.
- Skin receives the very best anti-aging support.
True Botanicals has managed to make treating acne feel luxurious, not perfunctory or shameful.
Why True Botanicals?
Using natural products like the ones from True Botanicals isn’t about being natural for natural’s sake. This is about using incredibly high-quality ingredients from nature in a way that respect the complexity of skin function and balance.
They know that supporting and protecting the skin’s microbiome is a superior path to blindly undermining it with harsh antibacterial agents. They also know that adult acne and anti-aging concerns can and should be treated together, hand-in-hand.
And although True Botanicals uses only the cleanest and most natural ingredients, their acne line outperforms Proactiv+ in clinical trials. This stuff actually works. As I learned the hard way, it doesn’t take harsh synthetic or antibacterial products to get skin back into beautiful, radiant balance.
Adult acne came. I conquered.
I’m no stranger to adult acne. I had near-perfect skin in my teens, and as a professional model I often worked without any foundation on at all. Clear skin was all I knew.
But after my first daughter was born, my health shifted and my skin reflected that change. I became simultaneously prone to breakouts and hyperpigmentation. And I was unsure how to proceed.
So I went the route that seemed to be the most logical—I visited dermatologists. And my skin continued to worsen even with their creams, pills, and overpriced lasers. Although there were incremental improvements in breakouts, my skin wasn’t becoming more beautiful, but seemed to get duller and older—quickly. By being medically manipulated into dryness and fragility, my skin became prone to further damage and imbalance. I was trapped in this cycle until I found my way out by using natural and holistic methods to get my health and my skin back in balance.
The products and methods I’m sharing with you here reflect not only what has worked for my skin recently, but also what I wish I had back when my skin made a turn for the worst, after my daughter was born. It would have saved me a lot of stress, money, and concealer.
Today, I no longer feel frustrated with my complexion. I finally feel comfortable in my own skin again.
Based on my wild ride in overcoming adult acne naturally, here are six tips to help you rediscover how great your skin can be:
#1 Use natural ingredients that don’t obliterate your skin’s microbiome.
When it comes to bacteria and skin, you don’t want to simply eradicate problematic bacteria, but replenish and support the beneficial bacteria. This diverse ecological community, commonly known as the microbiome, plays a vital role in the health and beauty of your skin. It’s estimated that throughout your entire body are ten to one hundred TRILLION microbial cells.
And any imbalance in the microbiome creates a far-reaching ripple effect on your appearance and health.
True Botanicals uses ingredients that respect your microbiome while getting acne-exacerbating bacteria back in line. They use ingredients like:
- black willow bark extract: a natural source of salicylic acid, which not only clears congested skin, but reduces fine lines, shrinks pore size, and evens out pigmentation.
- helichrysum: contains antibacterials and antifungal properties but with the added benefit of healing wounds and minimizing scarring.
- olive leaf extract: puts the bad acne-causing bacteria back in its place while providing anti-inflammatory benefits. Rich in antioxidants, it’s also a powerful anti-aging ingredient.
So be kind to your skin’s microbiome with ingredients that respect it, naturally.
#2 Don’t be afraid of oil.
Using “oil-free” products is so 1990s.
One of the most incredible products from True Botanicals is the Pure Radiance Oil, CLEAR. It’s a facial moisturizer, anti-ager, and acne obliterator. If there was one product I’d use in True Botanicals’ acne-blasting lineup, it would be this oil. It’s the perfect anti-aging beauty moisturizer, that just happens to fight acne.
It has an unexpected herbal scent that I’ve come to crave. It smells fresh and alive as I press it into my skin, and absorbs well. It also makes an excellent base for makeup, which not all oils can do! It lasts me about 2 months of day and night use.
Here’s the thing: dry skin doesn’t look great, especially when you’re over 30. But so many anti-acne products dry skin out. Of course that seems to be a reasonable tradeoff when you’re trying to get rid of blemishes but MY GOODNESS do we really need to make ourselves look unnecessarily haggard in order to get rid of a few (or a lot) of zits?? C’mon!
When I began using a high-quality oil for my skin, my skin didn’t get oilier or more congested.Just the opposite happened. My sebum production balanced. Pores shrunk. Congestion disappeared. And skin became visibly plumper, softer, and smoother.
But not all facial oils are created equal. Plant-based oils are notoriously fragile, meaning that if they’ve been improperly processed or adversely affected by heat, light, or air, they can be downgraded from a skincare powerhouse into a dull, lifeless substance or—worse yet—a rancid free radical-promoting brew. Which is why I love the Pure Radiance Oil. I can rely on the quality.
Here’s the full ingredient list for the Pure Radiance Oil, CLEAR: organic jojoba seed oil, organic safflower oil, organic hemp seed oil, organic pumpkin seed oil, organic argan seed oil, organic grape seed oil, borage seed oil, organic avocado oil, organic sunflower seed oil, abyssinian oil, organic sesame seed oil, red raspberry seed oil, organic cranberry seed oil, squalene (from olives), tocopherol (non-GMO), watermelon seed oil, milk thistle, algae extract, astaxanthin, organic rosemary leaf extract, organic black cumin seed oil, organic sandalwood oil, organic lavender oil, organic helichrysum flower oil, lelechwa oil, cypress oil.
|Extremely Safe||Reasonably Safe||Proceed with Caution||Insufficient Data|
#3 Exfoliate the smart way.
When done the right, exfoliation will make skin brighter, smoother, and more receptive to healing treatments. But when skin is over-exfoliated, it becomes dry, sensitized and dehydrated.
True Botanicals has two different exfoliating products to treat skin right:
- Polishing Grains ($44): these super-fine grains mix into your cleanser for skin that’s softer and more refined. It’s made of organic oat flour, adzuki beans, and—my personal favorite—rice powder.
- Resurfacing Moisture Mask ($90): I’ve raved about this mask before, but if you’re not familiar with it, know this: it uses an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) called lactic acid to improve the signs of skin aging—such as wrinkles—and also to reduce acne. Lactic acid also helps to lighten and brighten skin by inhibiting melanin-triggering enzymes. It’s gentler than another popular AHA, glycolic acid.
What’s more is this: True Botanicals created a genuinely helpful blog post about how to exfoliate wisely. It’s less about the products, and more about educating consumers about getting the results we want from our skincare regimens.
#4 Use the Antioxidant Booster to achieve overall skin zen.
The Antioxidant Booster ($90) comes as a loose powder that’s fresh-mixed into another liquid, cream, or oil before being applied to the face. It has a whole host of worthwhile, transformative benefits. It’s one of my favorite skincare products, ever. It helps to clear acne, lighten scarring, reduce redness, brighten skin, calm inflammation, protect against UV damage, smooth wrinkles, and firm skin. No joke.
It’s also gentle enough for sensitive and reactive skin.
Here’s four ways to use the Antioxidant Booster:
- Mix it into your nighttime serum for firmer, brighter, smoother skin. It’s a deep healer, appropriate for every skin type. The Antioxidant Booster helps to calm acne spots while reducing overall redness, which is an important one-two punch for angry skin!
- Use it as a spot treatment. Mix one shake’s worth of booster in a few drops of aloe, oil, or honey to make a paste. Apply to blemishes at bedtime. Rinse off in the morning.
- Make a healing probiotic raw honey mask: Mix two shakes of the Antioxidant Booster with raw manuka honey. This calms breakouts and supports the overall health of skin. Raw honey is rich in natural enzymes and probiotics and does wonders for acne. It’s especially helpful after weaning skin off of harsh antibacterial treatments.
- Mix into your nighttime eye cream: Okay, this use isn’t strictly for acne but goodness gracious it works so well for brightness and firmness that I can’t help but share it with you!
Here’s the full ingredient list for the Antioxidant Booster: organic apple peel extract, organic tapioca starch, resveratrol from grape skin, quercetin found in apple peel.
And here’s what I had to say about that seemingly short ingredient list in my full profile on the Antioxidant Booster: “I realize you may have just read that ingredient list and thought, that’s it? Because, I get it. It seems like there’s gotta be some sort of catch. A product needs twenty or thirty ingredients to really work well, right? In this case, not at all. It doesn’t need all sorts of additional ingredients, because apple peel really is effective and the dry powder form means it doesn’t need a complicated preservation system. In the case of the Antioxidant Booster, short and sweet is ideal!”
#5 Correct damage and hyperpigmentation with Vitamin C.
Vitamin C is one of the most effective and safest ingredients for younger-looking, brighter skin. And this Vitamin C Booster uses a particularly potent form of Vitamin C as a dry powder that retains the maximum potency of the booster. I’ve had remarkable results correcting my postinflammatory hyperpigmentation with this Vitamin C Booster—you can see my before and after here.
This booster has a relatively short ingredient list, which I find amusing considering how effective it is. Here it is: organic tapioca starch, vitamin C as L-ascorbic acid, and ferulic acid.
But if you have hypersensitive skin—or if you’re part of the small percentage of people who get breakouts from topical vitamin C—stick with the Antioxidant Booster. It’s a bit milder, but will still give you worthwhile results.
#6 Save money with a kit and a discount code.
Quality costs. There’s no getting around that. So getting True Botanicals products at the best possible price is an absolute must.
Know your savings with the CLEAR collection kits:
- The Clear Duo includes the Hydrating Cleanser and the Pure Radiance Oil. It’s $142, but would be $158 individually. This duo is what the entire True Botanicals CLEAR system is based around. Don’t underestimate the power of using the right cleanser and moisturizer! Getting these two crucial elements right gives skin a fighting chance! Find it here.
- The Clear Trio includes the Hydrating Cleanser, Nutrient Toner, and Pure Radiance Oil for $185 which saves you $21. The Nutrient Toner is especially useful for skin that lacks refinement or has enlarged pores. Find it here.
- The complete Clear Set—which includes the Hydrating Cleanser, Nutrient Toner, Cellular Repair Serum, and Pure Radiance Oil—for $311 (which ends up saving you $35). Here it is, the big daddy set. The addition of Cellular Repair Serum of course offers incredible skin-balancing and refining benefits, but also takes the anti-aging and reparative benefits to a whole new level. Find it here.
Also, be sure to enter JACQUELINETRUE20 at checkout to get $20 off your first purchase from True Botanicals. Why? ‘Cause I love ya.
Don’t give up on clear skin
For so many women, acne can take a heavy emotional toll. I get it. I’ve been there.
But no matter how hopeless you feel, and no matter how far out of reach healing seems, don’t give up!
Hippocrates once said, “Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.” For me, healing took much longer than I preferred. Still, it came.
But it was also the opportunities I sought that were critical in my skin’s recovery. I found opportunity in the form of natural, holistic self-care. I stepped away from cheap, harsh, and synthetic products and entered into a new gentler way of caring for myself.
Whatever struggles you’re facing, and whatever healing you’re searching for, I pray you don’t give up on finding your opportunity! There’s nothing special about me or this blog. I’m just a regular woman with regular struggles, and I’ve had the good fortune to make a few breakthroughs that I can share with you now.
I hope that the information in this post—and throughout this entire site—gets you one step closer to your own breakthrough.
These products are part of my popular guide to natural skin care, Natural Skin Care: 99 Amazing Products to Transform Your Skin.
*This post is not sponsored. All opinions are my own.
**Products get makeovers too. Be sure to check if these products have been recently re-formulated before using them yourself.4